[Help] Versioning of a library

I'm the maintainer of libgtkdatabox-  Until now there
was no request for an update of the upstream version and I had
personal reasons to stay with an outdated version.  Now I was
asked to package the latest version and the library is probably
not important enough to keep different versions and thus I will
package version that is the latest version avialable from
http://www.eudoxos.de/gtk/gtkdatabox/ . My guess is that there
is an ABI change involved and thus I have to rename the package
to libgtkdatabox- .  My question is: What is the right
choice for 'X' if I skipped several upstream versions inbetween?

Kind regards