Interesting article about flamewars

Hello,

I was reading this:

  http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70179-0.html?tw=wn_index_2

And I'm pondering how to extract some useful suggestions for the Debian
Community Guidelines[1] out of this.  I think the "Read messages
smartly" part[2] almost gets it already, but can that article bring
improvements to it?

I quote the beginning of the Wired article:

 "The Secret Cause of Flame Wars

   'Don't work too hard,' wrote a colleague in an e-mail today. Was she
   sincere or sarcastic? I think I know (sarcastic), but I'm probably
   wrong.

   According to recent research published in the Journal of Personality
   and Social Psychology, I've only a 50-50 chance of ascertaining the
   tone of any e-mail message. The study also shows that people think
   they've correctly interpreted the tone of e-mails they receive 90
   percent of the time.?

   [...]"

I could also link the article from that part of the DCG, but the page
looks like a link that's going to break: how does one respect the
license of the content AND survive bitrot?  Should I ask wired for
permission to mirror or quote it?

WikiNews also mentions this:
  http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Study_says_people_don't_understand_the_emotional_tone_of_emails,_but_think_they_do
Other related articles: