Re: X11R7 and what this transition means for you

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 18:44:20 -0700
Steve Langasek wrote:

 SL> 6) Finally, in addition to everything else that's moving out of /usr/X11R6/,
 SL> packages providing fonts for X should now install to /usr/share/fonts/X11
 SL> instead of to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts.  The heirarchy is the same as
 SL> before, as are the commands to manage fonts; to ensure your font package's
 SL> compatibility with the installed Xorg system, you should only need to bump
 SL> your dependency on xutils to xutils (>> 1:7.0.0).  The plan is that
 SL> xorg.conf will support both the old and new paths by default for this
 SL> transition.

This part is broken now. So I ask you please _do not_ yet upload rebuilt
packages if you use dh_installxfonts. Or you should handle your
maintainer scripts by hand. The required (as from X11R6) changes are:
 * place your *.scale and *.alias files in
 /etc/X11/fonts/X11R7/<category>/ instead of /etc/X11/fonts/<category>/
 * call update-fonts-dir (-scale, -alias) with --x11r7-layout (or -7)
 switch.

Otherwise your fonts won't be handled properly by update-fonts-* tools.