Re: Debian Light Desktop - meta package

2006/4/11, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@corsac.net>:
> On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 13:44 -0300, André Luiz Rodrigues Ferreira wrote:
> > Hi !
> >
> > I'm creating a meta package for install a lite desktop for old
> > machines with poor hardware.
>
> Great task.
> > I would like to receive opinions about my packages list:
> >
> > - x-window-system-core
> > - xfce4 (beautiful!)
>
> Yeah :) I don't know if you have included the Thunar file manager in
> this, but you could.

Cool !  I will look this...

> You could also ask xubuntu people. They are trying to achieve the same
> goal (a light distribution, but quite complete). They packages some
> packages without gnome dependencies (gdm for example, iirc), so it could
> be helpful for your task.

I don't know if gnome dependencies would be a problem. I need speed and these
programs had been executed very well in my machines.
I saw the xubuntu project [1] and I liked sufficiently. Very Nice!
IMHO the gtk (v1) applications are a little ugly and the Gtk2 slow.
But the applications with a theme without many resources can be
faster.

> Do you plan to add a music/media player ? a slow machine can't play HD
> videos but can play music so....

Yeap! XMMS ?