Re: etch before vista

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 09:28:47PM -0500, Benjamin Seidenberg wrote:
> Kevin Mark wrote:
> > Hi *,
> > I noticed on occassion on -devel and planet that folks mention in passing
> > that "I'll be in MN in US from MAR 01 thru 05" and I'd like to have a
> > beer and do keysigning. Would it be worthwhile to create a list like
> > 'debian-meetup' (or debian-beer-meetup x-))that would allow folks to
> > give this info on what would be a low-volume list. I love to meetup with
> > floss folks who have a flight stop-over or will be in town for a day or
> > so. I guess some issue maybe the idea of personal security and
> > privacy--- people knowing where you will be and providing contact
> > info--but the messages as specific as people want and the basic info
> > could be state and email contact address with a month/week given.
> > Cheers,
> > Kev
> > ps. I recall folks saying that debian-private has 'holiday info' or
> > people whereabouts. This would be voluntary and would not include that
> > info.
> >
> I think a wiki would be more effective. That way you could have people
> in those areas say "I'd love to meet any DD passing through" and
> actually be noticed. It could be organized with separate pages for
> various regions, etc.
Hi Ben,
so instead of DD-post->ML-sent->readers, you'd say
readers-post->wiki-read->DD-sent->readers?

so if r(0)+r(1)+...r(n)=R all people in regions
then the mailing list would be sent to R people while with your approach
the DD(x) would send mail to r(x) people where DD(x) would be the DD
going to region(x) and r(x) would be the people in that region? So that
would mean that less people would be emailed and be 'more efficient'?

I think that approach requires more 'effort' because the people have to
find the right page on the wiki, figure out how to add their name and
then the DD has to find the right page on the wiki also and then extract
the list and then mail them. Whereas, my idea for the readers to just
subscribe to the list and the DD's to post to the list.

Cheers,
Kev