Re: dicussion about patches ... ignoring patches make motivation to provide them fall

Me:
> [In the hypothetical case] I write to the maintainer
> of P but get no reply.  After repeating this a few times I (finally!)
> get a message from the P maintainer... about his having more important
> things to do than deal with my patch. [...]

Frans Pop:
> Alternative conclusion to this saga...
> I discuss on d-devel if the Foo project is a worthwhile goal and how I've
> gotten stuck. There is general agreement that Foo is worth pushing for
> the next release. I ask for a review of/help with my patches to the
> packages that block progress, deal with the comments that come back and
> NMU them (after mailing the maintainer one last time). [...]

Right.  Either way, the maintainer's failure to respond to my messages ends
up costing me a lot of time. The prospect of this is likely to have a negative
impact on my motivation to undertake project Foo in the first place.  This
was the contention expressed in the Subject line and is the only point I would
want to support.  Svenl originally claimed that ignoring patches is an act of
"contempt", but I would certainly not go that far.  Yes, responding to a
request would be regarded as elementary politeness in some spheres, but
Debian's social norms are not the same as those of everyday life.
--
Thomas Hood