Re: dicussion about patches ... ignoring patches make motivation toprovide them fall

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
So yes, I believe we need to work on the long-term "ignored" bugs. :)

Those are essentially all I work on.

It's a good thing I have a thick skin.  Some maintainers are genuinely grateful for the
assistance, and they're a pleasure to work with.  (This includes the X Strike Force, although
they are really a bit snowed under and so you have to push a bit to get a bug addressed.)
Some maintainers are basically MIA, but won't give up their packages, and they're more
annoying, but they usually accede to reality eventually, and are OK to work with.

Some few maintainers are obnoxious and anti-helpful.  All of these have bugs which have had
a patch attached to them for a long time without mantainer comment (not even 'no, this
patch doesn't work because X').  However, not all such bugs reflect anti-helpful maintainers;
many reflect MIA, busy, or distracted maintainers, so one has to poke them to find out
whether one gets a rude reply, no reply, or a "thank you" reply.

Sorry about the thread-breaking again.  Can't help it on this machine; will try not to
post from here again.