Re: 3rd party modules in the archive

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 03:51:05PM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> WTF has this to do with Sven now?

Maybe because Sven and I worked on a solution for this problem.

>                              However, I have been told that it is no
> longer allowed to upload binary packages that do not appear in control
> files of the source package that are claimed to be the source of the
> uploaded binary package.

It was never allowed.

> So or so, the mentioned limitation sucks. I wish FTP management to
> accept packages of this kind again. However I realize that it would add
> a lot of additional work adding them to the archive because packages
> with new names may appear and disappear all the time. Therefore we need
> a way to tell FTP management: packages of that kind are okay and they
> shall be removed when the following package disappears: ...  Maybe a new
> field? Eg.
>
> GenPkgBaseName: unionfs-module-

How should that work? It needs the information which packages are built
and which are not. Which this proposal you will end with many
not-longer-built packages.

> Having the meaning: packages matching /^unionfs-module-(.*)/ and declaring the
> mentioned source package as source are installed automaticaly, and are
> removed automaticaly from the archive when the package linux-image-$1
> is removed.

Forget it. The archive only have equal matches.

> Any better ideas?

Yes, let us finish our work.

Bastian

--
Too much of anything, even love, isn't necessarily a good thing.
		-- Kirk, "The Trouble with Tribbles", stardate 4525.6