Re: Amendment to GR on GFDL, and the changes to the Social Contract

On Thursday 09 February 2006 20:26, Raul Miller wrote:
> On 2/9/06, Christopher Martin <chrsmrtn@debian.org> wrote:
> > But why does the Secretary get to decide whether this barrier should be
> > set or not?
>
> The constitution says:
>
> "... the final decision on the form of ballot(s) is the Secretary's -
> see 7.1(1),
> 7.1(3) and A.3(4)."
>
> I think that's pretty clear.

Sure, no one denies the Secretary the power to conduct votes within
procedural guidelines.

> I think it's pretty clear here that the Secretary is not exceeding his
> powers in any way, shape or form.

But it doesn't follow from the "final decision on the form of ballot(s)"
that the Secretary is the DFSG arbiter. You'd think the constitution would
have mentioned that.

For instance, if the Secretary refused to include a GR amendment in a vote
because he/she hated the proposer and merely declared it "just plain
stupid", we can probably all agree that the Secretary would be acting
improperly, despite his/her constitutional power to decide the shape of
votes. So "final decision on the form of ballot(s)" is not some limitless
purview. And since the constitution explicitly grants developers broad
powers over defining documents, issuing statements, etc. (but not the
Secretary) it seems that the most sound interpretation of the constitution
is that the Secretary is not the DFSG arbiter, and should allow matters of
interpretation of the DFSG to be settled by simple vote amongst the
developers. This means refraining from imposing supermajorities on disputes
over DFSG interpretation, despite strong personal views.

Christopher Martin