Re: timezone data packaged separately and in volatile?

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 09:13:07AM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Anand Kumria (wildfire@progsoc.uts.edu.au) [060207 04:34]:
> > I also think volatile is precisely the wrong place to put this kind of
> > data -- it isn't part of the default apt.sources for one thing; and it
> > places an extra burden on the maintainer(s) (who know have to track
> > three different upgrade paths, etc.).
>
> Only because you have a prejudice against volatile doesn't mean its the
> wrong place. Volatile is rather the exactly right place for this kind of
> update.

It is precisely the wrong place because volatile isn't in
apt.sources by default. If it were, it'd be a different story.

As it is, volatile is a great solution in search of a problem.  It is
unfortunate that you, and others, seem to latch onto things like as a
reason to make volatile useful.

The underlying technical issue that volatile is working around is that the
stable release manager isn't interested in ensuring that a stable release is
both functional and secure (btw: has anyone asked him to confirm this?;
I'm just working on the 'general assumptions' here).

These goals are not inherently opposed to each other.  I'd rather work
through the existing stable release process first, then resort to a
work-around.

Anand

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are