Re: Autobuilding and the build-arch target, again

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 07:45:10PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 07:31:08PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> > > AFAIK it is working as long as you assume debian/rules to be a Makefile,
> >
> > No, that is not true. The code to do it that way had been added to dpkg
> > 1.10.11 (from 2003!), but was pulled in 1.10.15, with the following
> > changelog:
>
> Yeah, I know (it is quoted in the URL referenced in the IRC log).  In
> the same URL however, is the proposal from keybuk to use make -pn
> instead of make -qn (the latter got used and later reverted in dpkg).
>
> The difference between the two is that -q checks whether a target is
> uptodate and return an appropriate exit code, while -p prints out the
> data base (i.e. the rules and variables) that results from reading the
> Makefile.  The latter seems more robust to me, so we should reevaluate
> the "It is *not* possible *at all* to detect available targets in a
> rules file." assertion, IMHO.

I would strongly suggest you to consider the "Build-Options: build-arch"
solution I proposed that is going to be much more robust than any
parsing of debian/rules. I am afraid the make -pn attempt will fail
and that will postpone the resolution of this issue even more, like
the -qn did.

Beside that, the "Build-Options: build-arch" has been the product of a
long discussion on debian-policy, does not assume debian/rules is a
makefile and provide a general way to expand the dpkg building interface.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.