Re: Implicition declarations of functions and bugs

Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@ens-lyon.org> writes:

> In buildd logs, I could find several
> test.c:3: warning: implicit declaration of function 'f'
> warnings

> This can be very problematic on 64bits architectures such as AMD64:

Yes, and definitely maintainers should clean this up when they see it
unless they know it's safe.  On the other hand, *most* of the cases of
this warning in my experience are harmless because the function returns an
int.  It's most commonly seen in ancient software that doesn't include all
of the right headers for functions like getopt().

The problems generally only arise with functions that return pointers.