Re: new mplayer 1.0pre7try2 package

aj@azure.humbug.org.au wrote:
>mplayer has had an explicit warning from upstream that it's patented;
The proposed tarball for Debian has stuff excised left and right in
order to guarantee legality.  Just check that the patented stuff was
excised, right?

Alternatively, I would be quite happy with the response "We just can't
trust mplayer's upstream enough to include mplayer; we suspect them of
having done something underhanded and including illegal code we haven't
spotted."

>ffmpeg
>has an explicit document in its packaging indiciating it's okay.

Ahhhh, the "I stripped the patented parts" comment in
README.Debian.

All right.  Sorry!

So, we have a solid summary, which could be a FAQ answer:

mplayer should go in if it links to the ffmpeg library in Debian, and its
own copies of any mp3 and AAC encoding stuff are removed.   Right?

Likewise xvidcap, I presume?

And rte, as was already stated?  (And sorry for not giving credit to Joerg
there!)

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@twcny.rr.com>

"(Instead, we front-load the flamewars and grudges in
the interest of efficiency.)" --Steve Lanagasek,