Re: Backports

* Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * Norbert Tretkowski [Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:02:03 +0100]:
> > * Joseph Smidt wrote:
> > > Do you think we will ever see backports officially supported by
> > > Debian?
> >
> > No.
>
> Is this to be read "as the person behind backports.org, I don't have
> in mind working to make them official", or "I believe ftp.debian.org
> will never carry a 'backports' suite"?

The latter.

Maybe it's possible to provide some 'official' backports in the
future, which would be nice, but I don't think it's possible to make
all packages from backports.org 'official'.

We would need security support (which is currently done by upgrading
the backport when a new version of the package hits unstable), and we
have to take care of packages which depends on a backport (that's why
there's no official firefox 1.5 backport[0] for Ubuntu).

Norbert

[0]: http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-backports/2005-December/000550.html