Re: For those who care about their packages in Ubuntu

Am Dienstag 17 Januar 2006 11:07 schrieb Reinhard Tartler:
> Am Montag, den 16.01.2006, 18:36 -0500 schrieb Joey Hess:
> > Please consider ALL code written/maintained by me that is present in
> > Ubuntu and is not bit-identical to code/binaries in Debian to be not
> > suitable for release with my name on it.
>
> What I find very dissapointing is that mdz asked on debian-devel twice
> for a decision from debian how ubuntu should handle the maintainer Field
> without any luck:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/01/msg00678.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/05/msg00260.html
>
> There have been no responses which would indicate what we should do.
> There are clearly some Maintainers in Debian, who want their name in the
> maintainer field and some who don't want that. You are now making a
> request to not release binary packages with your name on it. I assume
> this does not include source packages as well, just binary packages.
>
> This is a call for discussion: What does debian actually want? Do we
> really need to include a white or black list (and what exactly?) in
> apt-get, apt-cache and co to disable/mangling the Maintainer field of
> packages just imported from Debian? Or can we live with an less
> intrusive approach?
>
> I'd prefer a solution which can be implemented in a reasonable time
> frame, and which ends this annoyingly heated discussion once and for
> all.

How about placing the Ubuntu-Maintainer as the official maintainer to whom bug
reports etc would then be sent from Ubuntu users. As a reference to the
original packaging work something like "Debian-Maintainer" field could be
added. Whoever uploads a Debian package to Ubuntu should as the maintainer of
the Debian package if they want to act as the official Ubuntun maintainer,
too. I do not expect too many to say "no" if there is little overhead.

Any investigation of bug reports that would require the installation of Ubuntu
are not feasible for Debian maintainers. At the same time I would be
disappointed if the BTS of Debian would not be shared between the
distributions. Sigh. If the Ubuntu and the Debian developer are not the same
person then they should work together at least, hey, they share some
considerable interests. If both were DD, then both could be uploaders.

People working at the core of Debian like Joey will have the one or other
problem, but the normalo DD (<ironic remark>or the normal member of the nm
queue</ironic remark>) I expect to experience very little issues since there
is far too much and too diverse work out there and comparatively little
reason to fight over it.

Steffen