Re: libecw

Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> I'm not sure if it's license (
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=293346 ) can be considered
> free enough to be in main:

FYI, the right place to ask this is debian-legal@lists.debian.org.
Moving it over there. Full-quoting because of this.

least DFSG 3, 4, and 9. It may additionaly fail DFSG 6. Due to the
failure of DFSG 9, I doubt this can even go in non-free.

> Use of the ECW SDK with Unlimited Decompressing and Unlimited Compression for
> applications licensed under a GNU General Public style license ("GPL") is
> governed by the "ECW SDK PUBLIC USE LICENSE AGREEMENT".

Not sure what they're thinking, as this definitely isn't GPL-compatible.

> * About modifications:
>
> b)	You may make modifications to the Software and distribute your
> modifications, in a form that is separate from the Software, such as
> patches. The following restrictions apply to modifications:

Requiring patches is allowed as an explicit exception given in DFSG.
However, I don't see anything allowing us to distribute binaries built
from patched sources, thus this seems to fail DFSG 4 ("[t]he license
must explicitly permit distribution of software built from modified
source code.")

> i)	Modifications must not alter or remove any copyright notices in the
> Software.

This is acceptable, provided they're actually reasonable copyright notices.

> ii)	When modifications to the Software are released under this license, a
> non-exclusive royalty-free right is granted to the initial
> developer of the Software to distribute your modification in future versions
> of the Software provided such versions remain available under
> these terms in addition to any other license(s) of the initial developer.

I'm uncomfortable with this, but considering the other problems I can
punt on deciding :-D

> iii)	You are not permitted to change the ECW file format.

Fails DFSG 3.

> iv)	You are not permitted to use Software Product for development or
> distribution of "Server Software" that provides services or
> functionality on a computer acting as a server.

Fails DFSG 3 and 9 (restriction in this case is "may not be distributed
alongside server software"); also possibly 6.

> * About restriction of use (I just don't know DFARS 252.227-7013 so I have no
> idea what's said in here)

Neither do I.

> 3)	U.S. GOVERNMENT RESTRICTED RIGHTS.
> The SOFTWARE PRODUCT and documentation are provided with RESTRICTED RIGHTS.
> Use, duplication, or disclosure by the US Government is subject
> to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph (c)(1)(ii) of The Rights in
> Technical Data and Computer Software clause at DFARS 252.227-7013
> or subparagraphs (c)(1) and (2) of the Commercial Computer Software -
> Restricted Rights at 48 CFR 52.227-19, as applicable. Manufacturer is
> Earth Resource Mapping Limited.
>
> 4)	DESCRIPTION OF OTHER RIGHTS AND LIMITATIONS.
> a)	Rental. You may not rent, lease or lend the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

Not sure how this affects DFSG freeness. I can't think of a single free
license we've seen on -legal with similar provisions.