Re: Getting rid of circular dependencies, stage 3

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 11:15:35AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mercredi 11 janvier 2006 à 10:10 +0100, Henning Glawe a écrit :
> > a) explicitely forbid circular dependencies in policy
>
> At the very least, I think they should be treated like pre-depends, with
> a request on this list being mandatory before adding a circular
> dependency. Until now, all circular dependencies cases I have met were

we should _only_ allow circular deps when apt handles them. otherwise they
should be forbidden.
the problems caused by this breakage are of cause fixable if you are running
apt interactively and you know how to work around this problems (i.e. running
apt with manually splitted package lists). but this causes a lot of trouble
and is unusable in the non-interactive case.

a simple fix for apt would be to run 'dpkg --configure --pending' to catch
all the unpacked-but-not-configured packages instead of
'dpkg --configure <some-part-of-a-list>' explicitely.

--
c u
henning