Re: unsolvable circular dependencies and package splitting

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:21:28AM +0100, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> I wanted to report a circular dependency bug in fontconfig, but
> found the discussion
>
>     http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=%23310877%3A

> with apparent outcome: the fontconfig <->libfontconfig1 dependency
> cannot be resolved.

Huh?  The bottom of that bug log shows a proposed solution that should work
just fine.

> If a circular dependency cannot be resolved because both packages
> always need eachother, would policy not mandate that both packages
> be merged?

Shipping files in /usr/bin as part of a lib package causes problems for
coinstallability when there's an soname change.  Even if you could guarantee
forwards-compatibility of interfaces, and as a result ship /usr/bin/fc-cache
in each lib package with Replaces:, there's the possibility you might remove
a later version of the lib and take the config files with it...

> Or maybe policy should be updated to allow circular dependencies
> in cases that they are `unsolvable', and list those cases?

There shouldn't be any cases that are unsolvable AFAICT.