Re: Experimental or unstable.

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 10:11:55AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 02:03:37PM +0000, Simon Huggins wrote:
> > Is there any better way I can get snapshots/betas tested by the
> > majority of users?  Do people think that this is the sort of thing
> > that should just be uploaded to unstable and allowed to flow into
> > testing?
> Provided you're willing/able to fix bugs that are found directly, not
> just by reverting to the previous version, yeah, pretty much...

Yeah. I suspect in the case I'm thinking of (xfce) that they aren't
really close enough to the end of their dev cycle for this to be
justified and I'm not just talking about one package so it gets harder
still to support.  (Anyone wanting to help in general with xfce.*plugin
is most welcome over on the pkg-xfce alioth project...  :))

I suppose it'll have to be experimental and then suffer the bug reports
when it finally hits unstable when it's in a usable state.

But yeah, I take the point that in general if it's only one package and
you're going to stick with it then unstable is better as long as you are
responsive.

Simon

--
... Granny sighed.  "Gytha, Greebo would like Norris the Eyeball-Eating
    Maniac of Quirm if he knew how to put food in a bowl."