Re: something strange with rsh/ssh + bash/tcsh is happening. Please advise

Scripsit Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com>

>        -c string If the -c option is present, then commands are read
>                  from string.  If there are arguments after the
>                  string, they are assigned to the positional
>                  parameters, starting with $0.

> so - sldkjf (if I read English correctly) should be assigned to $0
> (yikes again). Lets try:

>> cat zzz.sh
> #!/bin/bash
> echo "#0=$0 #1=$1"

> *> /bin/bash -c /home/yoh/zzz.sh  sldkjf sdf sdf
> #0=/home/yoh/zzz.sh #1=

> so what the hell is right in this situation????

Bash behaves as the manual page says. The string is
'/home/yoh/zzz.sh', and every $1 in that string did indeed get
expanded to sdf, after which the command reads '/home/yoh/zzz.sh'.

On the other hand:

$ bash -c 'echo 0=$0 1=$1' sldkjf sdf sdf
0=sldkjf 1=sdf
$ bash -c 'source zzz.sh'   sldkjf sdf sdf
#0=sldkjf #1=sdf
$

The argument to the -c option is being interpreted as _a shell script_
itself.

--
Henning Makholm                              "It will be useful even at this
                                      early stage to review briefly the main