Re: Experiment: poll on "switching to vim-tiny for standard vi?"

On 03-Jan-06, 00:46 (CST), Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 11:47:05AM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > If you agree with the change, do Stefano and I need to do anything
> > other than swap vi alternative priorities and swap important<->optional
> > priorities?
>
> Why swap the vi alternative priorities?

Because if vim is the default, and someone deliberately installs nvi,
the presumption is that they prefer nvi, and thus it should grab the vi
link.

Such behaviour is pretty much standard alternative handling: the default
install is the lowest priority, and the optional variants have higher
priorities.

For a single user system, this makes sense. For a multi-user system,
where the admin might want all of (vim, nvi, vile, whatever) as options
for the user, it's easy to pick whichever one you want for the default.

SteveG

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net