Re: How to Increase Contributions from Volunteers

Alejandro Bonilla wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 16:28:06 +0100, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote
>> On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 09:21:43AM -0600, Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
>> > I could support or maintain some packages if I could be teached once, and if
>> > the mentoring process to get ownership of one package wouldn't be a pain. I
>> > once wanted to make a package for the ieee80211 stack or another small
>> > package, but NO. I had to know someone, that the someone had a developer
>> > friend that would actually trust me, to ever be able to try posting something.
>>
>> There's a special mailing list for getting in touch with developers that
>> might be interested in sponsoring you -- try debian-mentors@lists.debian.org.
>
> They end up taking the project and maintaining them. Which is really fine by
> me, but I will give it a shot again.

Maybe there is some confusion about what debian-mentors does --
definitely no one there should take over your project.  The
debian-mentors list doesn't maintain anything, they only offer packaging
suggestions and provide a source of sponsors.  Could you please provide
a link so we can understand what happened?  I can't find any messages
from you in the debian-mentors list archive.

When you find a sponsor for your package (on debian-mentors or
elsewhere), you are still the official maintainer.  The sponsor will
build the package on his machine, check to make sure that it meets
Debian Policy and doesn't do anything evil, and upload it to Debian.
But you as the maintainer have the final responsibility for fixing bugs
in the package, updating it to new upstream versions, and so on.

best regards,