Re: Packaging swftools for Debian

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 08:56:29AM +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 09:24:25AM +0200, Simo Kauppi wrote:
>
> > I was wondering, if anybody has been working on getting swftools
> > (http://www.swftools.org/) into Debian?
>
> Apparently, not recently.
>
> > There seems to be an old RFP
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=187275 which has
> > been closed because of inactivity. Does anybody know what is the
> > status with that?
>
> It has been reopened by Vedran Fura?? on 18 Sep 2005.

Ah, so it is, I missed that :)

> > Are there any obvious reasons why swftools can't/shouldn't be
> > packaged for Debian?
>
> Nobody has done it, that's the main reason. The RFP/ITP log says it
> contains patent-encumbered code; one would have to remove it before
> uploading to Debian.

Did you notice there something else than the L.A.M.E issue. Lame can be
disabled at build time, so I guess that wouldn't prevent packaging it
(and maybe naming the Debian package 'swftools-nolame').

> You may want to do it yourself; see http://www.debian.org/devel/join/

I will :) If not for anything else, I'll package it just for my own use.

> If you just want to stay up-to-date on what happens with it, you can
> subscribe to the RFP "bug"; send mail to
> "187275-subscribe@bugs.debian.org" .
>
> --
> Lionel

Thanks,