Re: State of gcc 2.95 use in Debian unstable

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 04:22:37PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Heiko M?ller <mueller@ceos-gmbh.de> writes:
>
> > We found that gcc-2.95 -Os produces object code of acceptable quality
> > within reasonable compilation times. gcc >=3 is less efficient w.r.t.
> > compilation time and memory consumption and in many cases even fails
> > to compile our codes due to the very long expressions. The C/C++ codes
> > generated from the computer algebra software are perhaps unusual but
> > not broken.
>
> Can you send in a few (hopefully short) examples that fail as
> bugreports?

I cannot speak for Heiko, but my examples are far from short. Indeed
they include a statement that is several megabytes long.
gcc exhaust all the memory available and fail with
 Internal compiler error:
 virtual memory exhausted
An gcc version that use less memory will be able to complete the
compilation.

> There is probably nothing to do about compile time and memory
> consuption but it should at least work. Maybe the compiled result is
> even faster.

Provide you have enough memory to get it at all.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.