Re: buildd administration

> On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 04:52:31PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
>> To respond preemptively to one expected reply: "I don't have time to answer
>> these questions" is not a reasonable excuse, because if they don't have time,
>> they need to ask for help.
>
> That's not a productive attitude. If they don't have time to answer
> questions, they almost certainly don't have time to ask for help,
> either. When that cirucmstance has arisen, the only way out is for others
> to work out what help's actually needed and wanted and to provide it.
> That's kinda hard, but no one promised taking over the world would
> be easy.

And that is exactly what is wrong with Debian. This crash and burn
attitude. Never ask for help even if you work yourself to death and
have to ignore 50% of the problems.

You have to ask for help before everything blows up. You have to ask
for help at a time when you still have some spare resources to train
extra help. Frankly for several key positions it seems way over due
for a scream for more volunteers.

On a practical side how should other people work out what help is
needed if they are untrained and unable to even grasp what the actualy
problems are? You can't help with a problem enclosed in a shroud of
mystery. People are blindly guessing that something is wrong and all
you are saying is: "No that's not it, he said so. Guess again."

>> >I also see the keyring's been updated
>> >earlier this week, including both a replacement key for Horms from late
>> >last month, and Chip's requested updates.
>> Indeed, complaining on debian-devel appears to get results, doesn't it?
>
> No, it doesn't.
>
>> At least, that's the conclusion that a rational outside observer would come
>> to.
>
> No, it's the conclusion a simplistic outside observer would come to,
> who failed to consider the possibility that the results may have come
> due to independent processes in spite of the hysterical complaints
> on debian-devel.
>
> It may be rational to note that that conclusion is being irrationally
> drawn, and start responding to hysterical complaints by delaying
> activities that'd otherwise be undertaken, of course. I'm idealistic
> enough to dislike that conclusion, but, well *shrug*.

Black Box science: Put X in, Y comes out.  --> conclusion: Doing X
produces Y.

Take the lid of the box so people can see what it is actualy
doing. ==> Transparency.

> Cheers,
> aj

MfG