Re: StrongARM tactics

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 02:33:34PM +0100, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
> [snip]
> > > -grub2: !hppa !ia64 m68k						      # bootloader
> > > +grub2: !hppa !ia64 !m68k !alpha !mips !mipsel !s390 !sparc	      # bootloader for i386/powerpc [?]

> Is a P-a-s entry some sort of a final verdict?

No, but it's a fairly long-term one; when people are concerned about
response time of the folks managing P-a-s, increasing churn certainly isn't
advisable, and having a package in P-a-s that shouldn't be has much more of
an impact than not having one listed that should be. :)

> I don't think it makes sense to attempt builds of a package for some years
> when it is known to fail. (Years might not be true for grub2, an example
> which comes to mind is gwydion-dylan.)

Agreed.  I think grub2 is a bit different, because upstream is (AIUI)
explicitly working on porting it to other architectures, so it bears
checking with the porters first.

> [snip]
> > > +ree: i386 amd64 ia64 kfreebsd-i386 hurd-i386			      # reads ROM from /dev/mem, i386/amd64/ia64-specific

> > The description says this package "can also extract font data from video
> > card ROMs."  Are we certain this is specific to i386/amd64/ia64?

> At least for mips/mipsel reading /dev/mem with a PC-like hardcoded
> offset won't yield anything useful.

Sure; but the root of this thread is a post talking about arm boards with
VGA BIOS emulation, so... :)  Again, worth checking with porters on.