Re: gtk-gnutella

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 06:34:18PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Anand Kumria (wildfire@progsoc.uts.edu.au) [051124 04:40]:
> > <http://www.progsoc.org/~wildfire/debian/gtk-gnutella/gtk-gnutella-0.95to0.96b.diff>
> >
> > It's 18MiB of unified diff goodness.
> >
> > Far larger than 2.5MiB gtk-gnutella 0.96b the updated source release is.
>
> You don't really expect that we can accpet such massive changes in
> volatile?

Yes, I do, otherwise I wouldn't have spent any time discussing it.

> Besides, BTW, the changelog is *really* broken (and also the
> general packaging - I probably should as QA member do a package review
> soon ...).

Great, I look forward to your bugreports.  But this is a side-issue
completely unrelated to whether or not gtk-gnutella should be in
backports.

> Basically, if you want to do a normal backport, speak with the
> backport.org-people.

This isn't a backport.  Here is a hypothetical situation:
	- you provide a web browser which does http 0.9
	- all existing web servers and web browser in the meantime are
	  upgraded to only speak http/1.1
	- the web browser you provide now does http 1.1
	- the protocol (for both servers and clients) changes more
	  frequently than a Debian release

This is the situation I find myself in with gtk-gnutella.  Generally,
the program will release with a version of the client code that
interoperates with the rest of the network.

Over time, the rest of the network changes and decides that gtk-gnutella
(in Debian 3.1) is hostile -- in this case 0.95 is performing a DoS against
other clients.

> Perhaps it is possible to send out a mail to the
> volatile-announce-list that gtk-gnutella doesn't really work anymore and
> people should look for backports (and also name one or more locations),
> but there is no way to accept the package as it is currently in
> volatile.

From your email the only reasons you've given are:
	- it's a massive change
	- you don't like the changelog

Is that a fair summary?

Anand

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are