Re: Debian based GNU/Solaris: pilot program

Frank Küster writes:

> Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> wrote:
>
>> Andrew Suffield writes:

>>> This is incomprehensible gibberish.
>>
>> This is unsupportable hyperbole.  Erast's statement may be inapt,
>> wrong, misleading, or have any number of other flaws, but it is
>> neither incomprehensible nor gibberish.
>
> I do not comprehend what he means with "CDDL works on a per-file basis,
> GPL does not".  One can of course create a project made up of GPL'ed
> source files and other source files with different, GPL-compatible
> licenses.

The CDDL (based as it is on the MPL) allows you to mix CDDL-licensed
files in a project with files under CDDL-incompatible licenses and
distribute the resulting executable.  The GPL applies to the work as a
whole.  The relevant sections of the GPL are below; this trait is why
people say that, even though CDDL is a copyleft license, it allows
developers to create proprietary applications on top of the CDDL base.

  1.3. "Covered Software" means (a) the Original Software, or (b)
    Modifications, or (c) the combination of files containing Original
    Software with files containing Modifications, in each case
    including portions thereof.

  1.9. "Modifications means the Source Code and Executable form of any
    of the following:
    A. Any file that results from an addition to, deletion from or
    modification of the contents of a file containing Original
    Software or previous Modifications;
    B. Any new file that contains any part of the Original Software or
    previous Modification; or
    C. Any new file that is contributed or otherwise made available
    under the terms of this License.

  1.12. "Source Code" means (a) the common form of computer software
    code in which modifications are made and (b) associated
    documentation included in or with such code.

  3.1. Availability of Source Code.
    Any Covered Software that You distribute or otherwise make
    available in Executable form must also be made available in Source
    Code form and that Source Code form must be distributed only under
    the terms of this License. You must include a copy of this License
    with every copy of the Source Code form of the Covered Software
    You distribute or otherwise make available. You must inform
    recipients of any such Covered Software in Executable form as to
    how they can obtain such Covered Software in Source Code form in a
    reasonable manner on or through a medium customarily used for
    software exchange.

Does this help?

Michael Poole