Re: Debian based GNU/Solaris: pilot program

Erast Benson <erast@gnusolaris.org> writes:

> Nexenta community willing to make appropriate changes to the system and
> make it absolutely Debian legal OS. And more I'm looking into it, i'm
> sure it is quite easy possible by making main Nexenta OS CD to be
> GPL-free. All GPL software will be distributed on Nexenta "Companion"
> CD, if user wants to.

No.  That is not sufficient.  This would simply be a subterfuge.  If
you distribute the CDs together as a set, then you are still
distributing the libraries along with the binaries.

> To make it happen, we need to resolve "dpkg" issue and initial boot
> strapping process. Which is quite possible to re-write dpkg as CDDL
> software. But to avoid duplication of work, it will be wise for Debian
> community to release dpkg under LGPL license. Of course, if Debian
> community serious about non-glibc ports. If not, I doubt Nexenta OS will
> ever be part of Debian community and will continue its way more like
> Ubunutu. Think about it.

You seem to think this is a disaster scenario.

Debian is serious about license compliance.