Re: Debian based GNU/Solaris: pilot program

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 14:24 +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 06:21:45PM -0800, Alex Ross wrote:
> > 2) 2,300 Debian packages available for immediate usage.
>
> [...]
>
> > There are probably very few projects that can come anywhere close to
> > Nexenta OS,
> > in terms of the size,
>
> 2300 << 15000, by my reckoning.

very true. but Nexenta OS is not just number of packages. it also brings
something totally new and exciting to the Debian world.

...and number of packages growes as we speak. So, it is just a matter of
time.

Most hard and exciting part is to achive acceptable level of integration
between OpenSolaris Core and the rest of Debian world. Nobody did it
before. So, it is sort of not for newbies. :-)

Also this project requires *a lot of* hacking. To name a few, we are in
progress of integration Project Utopia(hal, dbus, pmount), gst, FUSE,
etc.

Erast