Re: pbuilder status update

On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 02:12:14PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> > Yes, I don't have --resolve-deps, in the hope that
> > priorities are fixed by ftp-masters.
> >
> > There needs to be a decision somewhere:
> > 1. ignore priorities and go back to what it was before
> >  and make --resolve-deps the default in debootstrap
> > 2. try to fix priorities/section
>
> AFAIK the plan is to not constantly bother the ftp masters with override
> changes, and only get them updated just before the stable release. Then
> stable will be installable without --resolve-deps. However, unstable
> will still need it.

Fwiw, it's quite fine to get overrides changed throughout the release cycle --
it's even preferred because *if* there are issues, they are discovered early
instead of last-minute.

That said, I think it's good to use --resolve-deps by default for
testing/unstable, so that override changes aren't that urgent (they don't
break daily builds etc every other day), and can be batched up a bit, and
processed when the dependency graph is a bit stable. Which may very well be
only possible in the second half of a release cycle, but doing it really
last-minute seems unwise to me.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar