Re: mass bug filing on packages that are blocking use of cdebconf

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Russ Allbery wrote:

debconf-2.0 was added to policy as a virtual package in 2002 and has
been provided by debconf since 2003. In early 2004, dh_installdebconf
began automatically adding it as an alternate to debconf in
dependencies it generates for packages using debhelper.

Hmmm, I'm using dh_installdebconf in all my packages but there is
no such thing as adding something to the dependencies.  Did I missed
something?

${misc:Depends} will add the appropriate dependency; use it rather than
an explicit debconf dependency.
Which does not really seem to work in all cases.  I'm using a shared
debconf template (shared/zope/restart) in postinst scripts of some
Zope products.  I tried to replace the debconf dependency according
to your suggestion, but the resulting Debian package did not
depend from debconf.

It might be the reason that in fact it is clear that the package
implicitely depends from debconf if it depends from the package
that contains the shared question (zope).  I for myself feeled
safer to add the explicite debconf dependency.  Am I wrong here?

Moreover I wonder what the criteria of db_installdebconf are to
be clever enough to ignore the lines

   . /usr/share/debconf/confmodule
   db_get "shared/zope/restart" || true

in the postinst file because the package depends from a package
that just depends from debconf?

Kind regards

           Andreas.

--