Re: building own package

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 04:42:33PM +0200, Tomas Davidek wrote:
> Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 11:21:35AM +0200, Tomas Davidek wrote:

>>> * I store all the scripts in a tarball,

>> If you are using the .orig.tar.gz directly, you have misunderstood
>> the structure of a Debian source package: The .orig.tar.gz is
>> unpacked, the tree is patched with the .diff.gz and then one builds
>> / installs entirely from there.

>> You may actually want to do a "Debian native" package that has only
>> a .tar.gz and no .diff.gz.

> Yes, this is exactly the problem - the *.orig.tar.gz should be unpacked,
> but apparently it is not.

OK. Please describe the files you think make up the source
package. You should have (for some value of foo):

 - a foo-1.dsc file
 - a foo-1.diff.gz file
 - an foo.orig.tar.gz file

To unpack this source package, you issue the command:

 dpkg-source -x foo-1.dsc

This unpacks the whole thing into ./foo/: The .orig.tar.gz and the
.diff.gz applied to it.

In order to construct the dsc/diff, you:

 1) Make the .orig.tar.gz
 2) unpack it manually into ./foo/
 3) Add the directory ./foo/debian/ and its contents
 4) Run "debuild -S"

--
Lionel