Re: building own package

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 11:21:35AM +0200, Tomas Davidek wrote:
> * since the pakcage contains only few shell scripts, it should be
> architecture-independent. Therefore, I specified "Architecture: any" in
> the "control" file and also moved all the action in the "rules" file
> into the binary-indep section (see attachment).... However, the
> resulting package still contains in its control file the item
> "Architecture: i386" (which is where the package is produced, but ....).

You want "Architecture: all", not "Architecture: any". See the policy
manual.

> * the man pages installation works pretty well, the only problem is that
> the mandb is not updated after the package installation. It means user
> can display the new manpage, but "man -k" does not find it. One would
> need to run mandb automatically - should this be done via postinst
> (postrm) scripts or is there a simpler way to do so ?

Please just leave this alone; no other package does anything like this,
and it would be enormously inefficient for every package that shipped a
man page to run mandb in its postinst. The eventual right answer, I
think, is for dpkg to support triggers so that packages that ship man
pages can cause mandb to be invoked at the end of the dpkg run - and
this is on the dpkg development wishlist - but in the meantime just let
the daily cron job take care of it.

Cheers,