Re: Public service announcement about Policy 10.4

On Aug 01, Thomas Hood <jdthood@aglu.demon.nl> wrote:

> I would appreciate it if someone would create the "potash" shell,
> consisting of posh modified to implement "test -a", "test -o" and
> "local".  Debian would probably run on that well enough for it to
> be used as /bin/sh, and it could become the de facto testbed for
> 10.4 compliance.
Is there anything else which dash supports but posh does not?

And again, please let's focus on the *purpose* of policy. POSIX
compatibility is not supposed to be a goal in itself, compatibility with
other UN*X /bin/sh or support for a faster shell than bash may be.

> Later there was a complaint that eliminating bashisms causes
> inconvenient divergence from upstream.  But that divergence can be
> limited to this short patch per offending script:
This also negates the advantages of using a (much) faster shell than
bash as /bin/sh.

--
ciao,
Marco