Re: "How to recognise different ETCH wishlists from quite a long way away" (revised)

On Jul 08, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:

> * was far too fragile, with races all over the place which make some
>   things work correctly some of the time and not at all on the next
>   reboot,
The solution to these problems is to use RUN rules (what once were dev.d
scripts).

> * requires way too much configuration for a system which only exists to
>   access my hardware, with documentation in /usr/share/doc/udev which
>   blatantly states that some things *will not* work out of the box, and
>   *will* require you to manually configure stuff.
With the recent serio and ieee1394 sysfs kernel fixes all the common
situations should be handled correctly with the exception of
non-autostarted RAID volumes.
(Other distributions ship udev by default, so it can't be so bad...)

--
ciao,
Marco