Re: should etch be Debian 4.0 ?

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 11:57:25AM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> I'm already seeing documentation referring to "Debian 3.2 (etch)".  Is
> this really what we want?
>
> I remember some of us belatedly suggested sarge should be Debian 4.0,
> though it was too late (May?) to accept that.
>
> I suppose we should decide now if etch is going to be 3.2 or 4.0.
>
> Given the ABI change with gcc-4.0 and the introduction of X.org, it
> seems to me we have ample justification to introduce Debian 4.0.

I second the motion.  I realize that the goal of Debian is not to
appease the unwashed masses.  However, it seems logical (and warranted)
to bump the major version number to indicate the dramatic differences
between Sarge and (the to be released) Etch.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr