Re: Debian Project Leader report for 2005-07-07

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 14:39 +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Michael Weyershäuser <thedude0001@gmx.de> [2005.07.07.1431 +0200]:
> > I guess you were refering to chapter 6 of the Developers Reference,
>
> No, I was refering to the policy.
>
> > "Best packaging practices", or something like that. However, the
> > Debian Policy doesn't state what is supposed to be a good practice
> > but definitely lays out the borders within which every maintainer
> > has to stay...
>
> Sure. But I am talking about changes. Those are not made and then
> everyone is expected to abide by them. Instead, they are catalysed
> from common and proven strategies.

I don't think that having policy be determined by existing practises and
forcing maintainers to follow it are mutually exclusive.

Once a strategy is common and proven it enters policy, at which point it
becomes compulsory even for those who don't yet abide by it.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell
Current Noise: Rush - 2112