Re: Getting rid of circular dependencies

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:36:49AM -0700, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> > Or a "Package-Type: application | lib | data | doc | dev | common |
> > dummy". A yes/no field is hard to extend to more cases.

> While I do find the above idea very useful, how does it help with the
> circular dependency issue? Could there be another tag
> ``In-Case-Of-Circular-Dependecy-Install-Me-First: True'' ? This would
> help in the case of *known* circular dependencies, and it leaves the
> thinking up to a human (or perhaps an autobuilder that has attempted
> various means of installing the circularly dependent packages, and
> determined a working method) instead of leaving it up to the client
> system to guess.

The discussion that prompted the above is that many circular dependancies are
caused by -data pacakges depending on -bin packages of tools to utilise that
data, so that the data packages are not left lying around on the system if the
tools are removed. The above addresses _those_ circular dependancies, because
it gives more data to the tools about what's independantly less useful than
the current 'libs' section, (as used by deborphan for this purpose).

(As far as this set is concerned, I feel that Depends _should_ mean "This
doesn't work at all without that" rather than "This is useless without that".
And data, as far as I'm concerned, works by its very existance, even if the
right tool is not immediately at hand.)

There's another, more difficult class of circular dependancies which involves
parallel-installable shared library packages depending on a common binary,
which depends on one of the parallel-installable shared libraries. Or something
like that, anyway. ^_^

The above doesn't address this second class at all, as far as I can see, but
some kind of solution seems to have been come up with, at least for fontconfig.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.