Re: configure a program -- debconf abuse?

hi,

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 01:33:45PM +0000, Joerg Sommer wrote:
> can I use debconf to ask the admin what should be the default look and
> feel for the editor jed? The developers-reference manual tells us to not
> abuse debconf. Is this an abuse?

not necessarily, depending on how you go about it.  the most important
point to remember is that debconf must not be the authoritative store
for the configuration.  that is, if the admin answers something, but
later changes the file manually, it's your responsibility to make sure
that your debconf implementation doesn't nuke their settings.

that said, this sounds like a somewhat superficial configuration
setting, and i would wonder if all the effort to do things the right way
would provide would be worth it.

	sean