Re: GCC version change / C++ ABI change

Horms wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 11:12:21AM +0200, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> > Otavio Salvador wrote:

> > > But the current versions of 2.4 doesn't get fixed yet?
> >
> > Most kernel hackers don't care that much about 2.4 any more.
>
> I'd rephrase that as, we need to discuss if 2.4 should be included
> in etch.

I don't think gcc-4.0 is a hard requirement for that. We still have
even gcc-2.95 in the archive, and a gcc 3.3/3.4 version is likely to
be around for etch.

> My understanding is that it is needed for some arches,
> and my personal feeling is that 2.4 is maintained upstream and in
> many cases is a valid choice over 2.6.

I just wanted to hint that upstream is more interested in making 2.6 a
more valid choice instead of sinking time in a compiler upgrade for 2.4
which provides little benefit for the kernel.

Thiemo