Re: New Nokia device is Debian-based?

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 01:33:00PM +0200, Jesus Climent wrote:
> That is the key: OSS cannot be killed, not while EU and USA's governments,
> local and nationwide, are promoting, using and even developing OSS themselves.

I can't be killed, but it can be expensive. What will do governments, local and nationwide, do when some company will ask them to pay for "patent infringement" ? They will pay.
Governments can afford to pay to use OSS (hey, this is a legal way to give money to private companies, by the way).

This is also a good point for big patent holders: "you can use OSS, but if you don't choose our consulting $ervice$, we sue you"

> Would you shoot on your feet?

Aren't european governments already trying to shoot themselves in their feet by endangering the IT industry with swpat ?

The council/commission position is clear: if shooting on "our" (=IT industry's) feet means big money for us (=our friends ar the EPO), why bother ?