Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 08:20:39AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, John Goerzen wrote:
>
> >On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 07:47:19PM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> >>After Sarge, releases, it should be pretty straightforward for someone
> >>to set up a script to mass-mail Debian maintainers copies of the Python
> >>transition patches from Ubuntu (or all of the patches, if that's really
> >>what they believe that Debian maintainers want).
> >I'd prefer wishlist bugs tagged patch when there is a patch relevant for
> >Debian, personally.
> The idea of filing wishlist bug reports against something a user wanted to
> have changed is so straightforeward that I never expected that experienced
> Debian users (= I expect DDs to be experienced users) would come up with
> the idea of mass-mailing patches.

I assume this is meant only as flamebait, since it is fairly obvious that
there are often good reasons to prefer other means of contacting
maintainers, over mass-filing bugs in the BTS.

> IMHO somebody who derives from Debian is just a special type of a Debian
> user (he just uses the code basis) and for user wishes we have implemented
> the wishlist tag in the BTS.  If this has drawbacks for certain purposes
> please explain - at best file a bug report against BTS preferably with a
> patch.

This is an extreme oversimplification of the situation, but if you are
convinced that the correct approach is to mass-file Ubuntu patches as bugs
in the BTS, feel free to propose it clearly on debian-devel, as is
customary.  It should be a simple matter to script the submission process.

--
 - mdz