Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

Hello everybody,

Am Mittwoch, den 01.06.2005, 10:52 +0200 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> Having the Ubuntu maintainer as co-maintainer would be a drastical
> advance for both Debian and Ubuntu.

Thanks Andreas for pointing this out. I am really happy to hear interest
in this. Since we're all working on the same codebase, the same bugs and
the same user questions, this is a BIG opportunity we simply shouldn't
miss.

The GNOME and Mono teams are good examples of people collaborating and
maintaining software together in both worlds. The developer/maintainer
base in Ubuntu is steadily growing and people interested in specific
topics could form teams, which have
      * more overview,
      * more eyes on the problematic spots,
      * more expertise and
      * more time.

The team perspective seems to me to be the solution to a lot of problems
mentioned in this thread and I'm absolutely confident in expecting great
things will happen that way.

I can think of IRC meetings, mailing lists, team goals, good interaction
with upstream authors and kind of a "forum" to user requests, which
teams can more easily achieve than single maintainers.

I know most of this is "future talk" but we should now set the course
and take steps, which make it happen.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel