Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Wednesday 01 June 2005 11:52, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Marc Haber wrote:
> > A lot of Debian maintainers hang on to their packages like a hen over
> > her eggs and do not want to give away any authority over their
> > packages which they would to by accepting co-maintainers.
>
> And I guess it is not by chance that packages which fit into this
> category often accumulate more and more very old, simply to fix
> and boring bugs.  I hope this can be solved since I heard several
> positive voices to make group maintainance more popular.

I dont have any numbers, but I'm inclined to believe that's true in most of
the cases.

> Having the Ubuntu maintainer as co-maintainer would be a drastical
> advance for both Debian and Ubuntu.

Out of curiousity, is there real examples of DD's and UD's sharing common
revison control repo for their packaging, e.g. on alioth or at the relevant
ubuntu service if there is any like alioth ? This way both kind of
maintainers can coordinate more tightly without need to have access to each
other's ftp archive/uploadqueue/whatever. I guess that will not work for some
packages, but for the rest this will be a big benefit imho.

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB 2003-03-18 <danchev.fccf.net/key pgp.mit.edu>
fingerprint    1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB