Proper use of Replaces

I am working on taking over toshutils.  One of the things I would like
to do is incorporate a patch that updates it from GTK+ to GTK2.  The
patch came from ALT Linux.

Up to now I have been considering keeping the toshutils package as it is
and then adding a second binary package from the same source, called
toshutils-gtk2.  However, in reading the Policy Manual about the use of
Replaces, I am not sure how to proceed.  The Policy Manual states that
it is a violation of policy for a pacakge to contain files in the same
location as another package without replacing it.  Specifically:

"It is an error for a package to contain files which are on the system in
another package, unless Replaces is used"

This leaves me in the akward position of having toshutils and
toshutils-gtk2 both Conflict and Replace each other.  That doesn't really
make sense.

I have a few options:

1) Setup toshutils-gtk2 to compile binaries to have different names and
maybe not have them Conflict.
2) Have both packages use the same binary names, remove the Conflict and
set them up to use alternatives.
3) Forget about a GTK+ version and press ahead with a GTK2 only package.
4) Forget about a GTK2 version and press ahead with a GTK+ only package.

I would like to know what everyone thinks.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr