Re: Regarding unresponsive Debian maintainers (was: Re: Open-Source environments for Java)

El Lunes 23 Mayo 2005 17:09, Hamish Moffatt escribió:
> On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 04:30:49PM +0300, Cesar Martinez Izquierdo wrote:
> > El Lunes 23 Mayo 2005 16:24, Hamish Moffatt escribió:
> > >
> > > A lot of bugs are forwarded upstream to be fixed. You shouldn't expect
> > > the Debian maintainer to be able to fix any and all bugs in any
> > > package.
> >
> > I was refering to bugs *WITHOUT ACTIVITY* (that is, ignored bugs).
> > Forward the bug upstream *IS* activity.
>
> With reference to your paragraph above, does forwarding the bug qualify
> as "tracking and solving bugs"?
>
> I am not intending to nitpick. I thought you were asking that Debian
> developers actually fix all bugs. If that was not your intention then
> I misread you.

Don't worry, I don't think you are nitpicking.

If you review my first comment:

"Maybe a polite email from the MIA effort to maintainers with long-standing
bugs (and no activity on them) could help. Something like:"

I was refering to bugs without any activity (ignored bugs).
I was not meaning that Debian developer must fix all the bugs in a program (I
understand that only Debian specific bugs MUST be fixed, although fixing any
kind of bug is always nice).

Regarding the text to send to the maintainers, note that I wrote a fast
proposal, so don't pay too much attention to the actual wording of the text.
(I tried to clarify it saying "something like:").

Anyway, I consider that forwarding the bug (when justified) is included in
"tracking the bug".

I hope my intention is clear now. Regards,

  Cesar