Re: RES: /usr/lib vs /usr/libexec

Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:

> I do believe you've missed the point.  Splitting /usr from / helps in a
> teeny percentage of cases, and most of the cases where it "helps" that
> have been mentioned here, it actually doesn't.  Yet, splitting /usr/lib,
> which is grotesquely huge and hard to deal with, is treated as an
> impossible thing, needing a great level of proof before it can be
> considered.  This is very foolish.

The difference being that Debian has already split /usr from / and
therefore is only paying the marginal cost of maintaining it, whereas
Debian has not split /usr/lib from /usr/libexec and would have to pay the
(far larger) initial cost of moving everything around.

I think it's quite reasonable for that far larger initial cost to require
substantial justification, far more justification than is required for
preserving a property that Debian has already paid the cost to establish
and is just maintaining.