Re: Debian Project Leader report for 2005-04-24

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 11:06:31PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 01:45:52PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > Why, in this case, isn't the package released for the other
> > architectures? There's nothing wrong with sending an update later for
> > architectures that were missing in the first run.
>
> I don't have an answer for this.  My guess is that the Security Team
> decided delaying the update was the lesser of two evils.
>
> Security folks, would you care to comment?
>
> In any event, we have recovered from the ARM situation (and xfree86 for
> stable/arm is built for it), and you can expect some happy details in my
> next DPL report.

There is a certain amount of overhead involved in issuing an advisory, and
issuing multiple advisories for an issue multiplies that overhead.  It's
also generally considered bad for the stable archive to be out of sync (in
particular, this can make packages uninstallable in the case of
interdependencies between arch: all and arch: any packages).

--
 - mdz