Re: Debian AMD64 Archive Move

On Sunday 08 May 2005 9:27am, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> On 10283 March 1977, Ed Tomlinson wrote:
> >> Whats going on == someone needs to check it. Thats it.
> >
> > That was the point made by Ed Cogburn.  Its already been checked in the
> > other arch!  If this is not the case please explain why.  Without that
> > explanation I am forced to agree with Ed - the problem are political...
> > Which is the bane of debian.
>
> We are *NOT* Debian

We ARE Debian for Heaven's sake!  This move to another server is just
TEMPORARY!  We WILL be Debian as soon as sarge gets out and development on
etch picks up.  Who in the world is going to get upset when they know we will
soon be part of official Debian, and they've already given permission for
Debian to distribute their stuff!  Get real people!

How many non-free packages have been cleared?  Why haven't you at least set up
non-free and moved the packages known to be ok into it?  I know for sure that
the rogue-like games in non-free are perfectly fine and can brought on-line
now, since they and a lot of other stuff is in non-free just because they are
"old" pre-GPL software with "don't sell for money" restrictions which make
them fail the DFSG test on distribution, but are otherwise fully open-source
(and who's earlier authors can no longer be found to ask them if they'd agree
to a change to the GPL or some other Free license).

In fact, looking through the non-free docs section, most of that can go in
right now because they don't require anyone's permission to distribute since
they're in non-free because of the dispute between Debian and FSF over
documentation.

> thats all you need to get!

Hogwash.  This sounds like an extremely defensive response.  How many packages
have been cleared for non-free?  Why haven't you just put up a non-free
section with the stuff thats been cleared?  Why has it been more than a week,
with no non-free section at all, no indication of how the "vetting" process
is going, and with you telling us above that we don't need to know anything
more?  Now do you understand why I'm just a little bit skeptical?

Just establish the non-free section and move everything over.  If anyone
complains then just drop the package they're complaining about.  Of course,
NO ONE is going to complain since they know we will "become" Debian soon
anyway (and for all intents we ARE Debian - just not on their server), and
they've already given Debian permission to distribute.  For the rest of
non-free, permission to distribute is not an issue, and not the reason
they're in non-free to begin with.

Re-evaluating non-free is just silly when we're going to "officially" become
Debian again in a few months, certainly less than a year, anyway (assuming
Debian gets Sarge out soon).  Heck, Debian doesn't even advertise us, we're
the bastard child they don't want to talk about, because when they do it
reignites the argument about which architectures to "officially" support, and
why... and why not.  NO ONE IS GOING TO CARE ABOUT OUR NON-FREE!